This is Friday morning and yesterday, day 2, was filled up to bursting. First I had a meeting with other Online Workshops Coordinators and we came up with exciting stuff for the next year. Then I met with buddies from my DSDB alumni group. What is DSDB? I took Margie Lawson's online class, Defeat Your Self-Defeating Behavior, and as it finished, she told us there was an online group formed by a previous attendee. It's a very active group and I met with Lizbeth and Heather. It's so fun to put faces on a person.
Next, Nora Robert gave her keynote speech. She rocked the house? Her message: quit whining and just do it. She says she's told all the time by aspiring writer that it was easier back in her days. Bullshit! she says. She started on a typewriter with carbon paper. That was not easy!
Then it was the workshops. My first one was "How to finish the damned book!". Even if I finished my first manuscript last Friday, I'm thinking ahead of my next project. The presenter, Colleen Thompson, finished on one good piece of advice: those who succeed are those who risks failure. So true.
After, I went to "Eleven Senses - Who knew?". Marilyn Kelly discussed the traditional sense: sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste. But did you know there are six more senses scientifically accepted? Those are pain, balance, joint motion and acceleration, sense of time, and temperature difference. All those are great to incorporate into writing. The room was so full, I sat on the floor.
The last workshop I attended was "Paranormals". And yes, paranormals are here to stay. Six presenters discussed the subject, three NYT best sellers and 3 up and coming writers: Kelley Armstrong, Jeaniene Frost, Terri Garey, Colleen Gleason, Juliane Stone and CL Wilson. At first the discussion lagged on all the labels in the genre: paranormals, urban fantasy, urban sci-fi, horror, paranormal with romantic elements... Until one of the presenters said these labels were slapped on by the "business", not the writers themselves and not the readers. A good book is a good book.
Once the workshops were done, I changed and headed for two Chapter Events: The Hearts Through History and Young Adult chapters. And I witness something amazing!
The Hearts Through History announces the winners of their RTTA writing contest, and one agent was on sight. She gracefully announced the winners, and offered representation right on the spot to one of the winners!! Then the winner, Heather Snow, (watch that name, she'll pop up somewhere in the near future), went on to say she just joined last week! A shiver went through the crowd and it's a miracle she made it out alive. I'm kidding, of course. Mostly.
The Young Adult Chapter presented their new board and discussed the market. That chapter is so alive, it's brimming with energy.
And last, until late last night, I spent the rest of the evening with my CRW buddies. So much fun! And - drum roll please - Robin Weaver won the Daphne!! Way to go, Robin!!
Later, Martha Catt sang Blue Bayou! For pictures, go to http://www.facebook.com/carolestlaurentRW
Thanks for sharing your experience and new knowledge, Carole, especially in light of the schedule. Eleven senses - wow. What a cool concept. And what a fabulous way to enrich our writing. I can think of specific points in my WIP where temperature and time came into play. I'll have to look out for those points in my revisions and give them their due. Hugs to our DSDBers.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sherry, see you tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteCarole,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for mentioning me on your blog. I'm sorry I'm just now finding it, but somehow my invitations to the HHRW loops got eaten by the evil spam filter, and I'm only just getting up to speed with my membership and catching up with posts.
It was a pleasure meeting your group, and I look forward to getting to know you better. Everyone was very gracious on that very surreal evening :). I did ultimately sign with Barbara Poelle, who judged me in the RTTA, and hope to pop up somewhere soon.
Thanks again!
Heather