Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 3 at Orlando: Friday

I'm back in my room after a full day. I didn't go out at all, I was too exhausted. And my feet hurt.

The first workshop I attended, at 8h30, was Spotlight on Kensington. This was the first time I attended a Spotlight, for a very good reason: I'd never had a completed manuscript before, so what was the use of seeking editors' advice when I didn't have a book to sell?

Kensington: the editors offered many tidbits and everything is simple really, and I've heard it all at the other conferences I attended, but somehow it's comforting to hear it again:
A) have your manuscript in the best shape possible
B) don't say in your query that your book is a little scary and a little sensuous and a little funny, have your book be one thing only, or at least mention in your query the main angle of your book; it's necessary for the editors to know where your novel belongs
C) query only when your revisions are done (this refers back to A but I think the editors wanted to drive the point home)
D) the Kensington editors want to acquire more than a book, they want to acquire a writer, so that means be prepared to have a backlist (I know what that means... write, write, write!)
E) go see what the guidelines are on their website and query your book accordingly
F) get an agent
G) have a marketing platform ready, i.e. website, FB, Twitter, etc...
H) before submitting, do your research: look at their lines and their writers and you'll see what they want

Kensington is actively looking for YA paranormal and military romantic suspense. I thought some of you might be interested!

After the Spotlight on Kensington, I went to the Avon book signing: many of my favorite writers were there. See my pictures at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=237318&id=758700571

After lunch, I jumped into the Spotlight on Avon, which has always been my target, only to read, black on white, they want historicals set in England only. ONLY. IN. ENGLAND. NOWHERE. ELSE. I turned tail and went to Belle Books Spotlight.

Amazing little publishing house, headed by Debra Dixon. If you wonder at the name, think GMC. Goal, motivation, conflict. She wrote the darn thing and it's quasi a bible now. It's on my shelf and quite used.

I loved Belle Books. They were very direct and open about their operation, and even shared what they pay their writers. A writer doesn't need to be agented, and most books are ebooks, though they do run small and large print runs. They are mostly southern fiction, but they also touch everything else.

There was another book signing and I met more favorite writers.

The last workshop I attented was another Spotlight, this time on Pocket Book. Similar to Kensington in the how-to approach them. They are actively seeking YA for their MTV line which is edgy teen fiction (sweet Disney stories are out) and book club fiction, or aptly named commercial literary fiction.

So there you are, I hope you'll find this information useful. Now it's time for bed because workshops are starting tomorrow morning at 8h30, there's one on YA and later I'll be seeing the ever energetic and lovely Margie Lawson. Plus more book signing!

6 comments:

  1. Good information, Carole. Thanks!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carole, thanks for doing this for us stay-at-homes. It's almost as good as being there.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carole, Does Luna have a Spotlight? Would you be willing to find out any of their info? Sounds fantastic and exhausting all in one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the wonderful information. This way I get to experience the conference without the trip to Orlando (or the cost for nationals!).
    Can't wait to hear all about it next weekend! Enjoy! Kimberly Spear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara: Sorry, Luna didn't have a Spotlight... but I'm sure at the end, their editors would have repeated the same advice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, Sandy and Kim, thanks for the comments. I'm glad you found my posts useful.

    ReplyDelete